Before You Make A New Year’s Resolution…
…remember the resolution you made last year.
Did you keep it? Do you even remember what it was?
Men should pledge themselves to nothing; for reflection makes a liar of their resolution.
Was Sophocles being harsh above? Or realistic?
Resolutions are great, if you make a real effort to keep them. But otherwise they’re just a waste of time. In fact they are worse than a waste of time because they will probably just make you feel like a failure if you don’t succeed at them.
Human beings just aren’t naturally inclined to achieve resolutions it seems. It’s something we have to really work for.
So here are some tips to help you keep your New Year’s resolution this year:
- Make it achievable – This doesn’t mean limit yourself, still set your sights high but not impossibly so.
- Write it down and tell people about it – This helps make it more concrete and makes you accountable.
- Plan how to do it – Put a plan in place and work out an initial ‘to do’ list to help you work towards it.
- The fewer the better – A big list of resolutions is going to mean a big list of failures. Keep things simple, that way you’re more likely to stick with it.
- Start working towards it right away – If you’re serious about it why not get started on it!
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.
– Abraham Lincoln
Opportunities Are Where You Find Them
Image: MikeLove Making the most of opportunities has been the key to the success of many people. There are countless quotes from successful people that come to mind when writing about them. But what is an opportunity? How will you know when you are presented with one? Dictionary.com says an opportunity is an “appropriate or…Read more
A Tetraplegic Farmer?
“I’ve learnt a lot of things about life that I wouldn’t have learnt if I hadn’t broken my neck.” – Grant Calder. You’d think being a tetraplegic would stop you from being a farmer on a large sheep station in the rugged South Island of New Zealand wouldn’t you? Well not for this guy. Despite…Read more
20 Famous Failures
The famous failures below are now well known and their names are synonymous with success, but it wasn’t always this way. At one point the idea of these people reaching the heights they have reached would have seemed absurd – toally impossible – and yet they did it. Many of them didn’t just fail, they…Read more